It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:51 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:57 pm 
chihuahua
chihuahua

I wanted to know if any of you have thoughts, feedback, recommendations, yadda on such devices... When they first came out I thought they were too expensivie and the book downloads were too expensive also but not so now...

I read 1 to 3 books a week depending and for the past couple of years I buy the used 1 penny + $3.99 shipping ones off Amazon.com and am very happy with the cost and quality cause I tend to buy several at a time so I save on shipping...

My interest in Kindle(e-books) has been re-kindled cause now downloads are no more expensive than buying the 1 penny book and you can buy a Kindle for $129-139 and it has all those features that make it worth it to me now...

I have done some research[good one==> http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20009738-1.html] and talked with a few of my patients that bring them in so I think this is my X-mas gift to myself but first really wanted to hear from any of you if have one and/or your experience; thanks!! ;)

Sorry, didn't 'search' to see if you have discussed this somewhere already!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:19 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

I think kindle is definitely one of the best ebook readers. I actually ended up buying a Kindle for my niece for christmas. I like how you can use the Kindle outdoors with no screen glare, I love the battery life on them, and I also love that I can read my kindle books on my android phone, kindle, computer, or alot of other devices that have a kindle software/apps. Amazon/Kindle is also working on letting you lend ebooks to your friends for a certain amount of days I think its 14 which is yet another benefit if you choose to go with Kindle.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:37 pm 
chihuahua
chihuahua

Thanks Beggin; you verify and qualify what input I have been getting person to person; I appreciate the reply and input.. Yes the benefits are a very positive feature IMO and you can share with family for free too; I think its kinda neat... woOt...

Again, thanks for info and reply... :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:33 am 
Council Member
Council Member

Hi guys,

I'm glad you asked as I've been curious about them too. I think I must be getting too old because I love holding a book and their smell. Especially the old ones I get at the used book store. I don't have a lot of gadgets that I would read ebooks on, but I have been wondering if Kindles are worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:00 pm 
chihuahua
chihuahua

Hi Lady

I got on Amazon.com this morning and found that the e-books generally are a dollar or two more than the ones I order although a few were less.. The instant gratification thing of having the book downloaded and ready to read in less than 10 seconds is nice but I am really not that way anymore, I can wait for a book in the mail since I usually have a couple in reserve I want to read...

The one feature I know I would like is the ability to increase the font size and the back-lite light when I read in bed and also the ability to highlight sections and/or words that I want to learn more about(you can put a Websters Dictionary on your Kindle if you are like me and want to get a definition)... You can also buy a 'used cover' for your Kindle for some protection and more of that "book feel".. There are some used bookstores near me but kinda in a congested urban setting area and I hate parking and traffic and whatever else goes with that and still might not find the book(s) I am looking for or a new author that seems interesting...

My other Teammates(|FS|Fellowship) responders had good things to say bout Kindle(3 responders so far) and they are more tech savvy than me...

Amazon Kindle support is great according to one of my patients experience: screen got broke somehow and she called them and they instantly had a mailer out to her the next day and back to her with new screen in a couple of days plus they gave her $180 ebook card for her troubles... Apparently her daughter had the same issue with her screen(and she lugs it around in her backpack to school) and again a few days hers was fixed and back all for at no cost... The screen seems to take a lot of abuse so its breaking is really not an issue... Anywho I am going to wait another week and then decide, plus check my Capital One points and see if I can get an Amazon rewards card to make a possible purchase cheaper... :shock:

Wonder if anyone knows if a X-mas sale or rebate may be coming for these soon!!??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:23 am 
chihuahua
chihuahua

My wife got me a kindle for christmas last year. I absolutely love it!!! and you can get some great deals on books. I got the collective works of edgar rice bouroughs(30 books) and i also picked up the collevtive works of H rider haggard(28 books) for .99cents each!! it will hold 1500 novels. did I say that I love it? I read it every day. at first I was like lady,, i like having a book in my hand, feel the pages etc.. but i quickly got over it.. and being able to change font size for these old eyes is definately a plus! I say get one!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:27 pm 
chihuahua
chihuahua

Jetoh, my Man... You and Heathen and G-man are eternal memories along with Lady and then the other RD and peeps from nxa... Some of the best gaming and friendship...

I am right now building up my Capital One rewards points and pretty much think I will be buying a Kindle then at 1/2 the price... I have 6 books already I have to read and this close to X-mas, I think I will wait til after to buy[in hopes of a sale or deal]... Had some interesting feedbacks from patients on Kindle and other ebooks but Kindle seems to rise to the occaision...

Peace out bro and hope you are well; miss talking to you along with G and H... :cool: You and your family have a place to stay any time you want to visit the Chicago area...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:59 pm 
chihuahua
chihuahua

I know this thread is pretty old, but I figured I would throw my thoughts out there for people that may still be interested.. I recently got a Kindle Fire, and I absolutely love it! Its has a little less bells and whistles than the iPad, but for $199, its definitely well worth the investment. I use it pretty much every day.. funny thing is reading books is what I do the LEAST on the thing... I've been having a pretty ritualistic Netflix hour before going to bed.. where I'll either start/finish a movie, or catch up on some TV shows (pretty amazing how the screen size doesn't seem to be an issue when you are laying in bed with the thing resting on your chest, and the picture quality is pro). Anyway.. I'd get one if you are looking for a Media Consumption device, and not wanting to shell out $700 dollars..

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson

System Specs:

Case- Antec 1200 PSU- Corsair HX750 Motherboard- ASUS Sabertooth Z77 CPU- Intel Core i5-3570K Memory- Mushkin Blackline 16GB GPU- EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW Cooling- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Boot Drive- Crucial SSD 128GB Storage- Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200RPM Optical Drive- ASUS DVD-RW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:01 pm 
chihuahua
chihuahua

I just got one myself a couple of weeks ago. I love it also. use it every day!! i am now a words with friends junky.. well worth the $199 been watching the first season of sons of anarchy. great picture,, smooth stream.. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:43 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

I've had a Kindle 3 Keyboard model for about a year now and I love it. The print on the keys wears off easily though but that's one of the few downsides. I recently bought a cover for it that I love but I still need to find a light that works well with it. I've been told that newer models such as the Touch have some issues with the screen contrast being limited. The Touch also has no page turning buttons in favor of using gestures only. The Kindle Fire is more of a tablet than an e-reader because of the screen. I wouldn't purchase one if you're strictly looking for a reading device because those screens can be tiresome on the eyes. It's a great device if you're looking for a media tablet, though.

My cover:

View Tribes Ascend stats for CynageN.
"Competition is natural to the ignorant; and cooperation is natural to the wise." - Manly Hall

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:54 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

Quote:
I've had a Kindle 3 Keyboard model for about a year now and I love it. The print on the keys wears off easily though but that's one of the few downsides. I recently bought a cover for it that I love but I still need to find a light that works well with it. I've been told that newer models such as the Touch have some issues with the screen contrast being limited. The Touch also has no page turning buttons in favor of using gestures only. The Kindle Fire is more of a tablet than an e-reader because of the screen. I wouldn't purchase one if you're strictly looking for a reading device because those screens can be tiresome on the eyes. It's a great device if you're looking for a media tablet, though.

My cover:

cynagen is reviving posts from the dead!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:01 pm 
chihuahua
chihuahua

Quote:
Quote:

My cover:

"Hey", my posts are eternal(thx for posting Cyn), they are a living, breathing, evolving never dying embodiment of importance and my legacy of whatever neverland I exist in or existed!! :evil: :p
My teamkill of yesterday could be the beginning!!? /scarey face

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:42 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

Quote:
Last post was in Feb. If that's dead when we're lucky to see posts marked 2012 I don't know what you'd consider alive.

View Tribes Ascend stats for CynageN.
"Competition is natural to the ignorant; and cooperation is natural to the wise." - Manly Hall