It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:53 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:44 am 
Old Dawg
Old Dawg

Since it is that season, I wanted to post this here as well. I originally posted it in another forum where I am a member and there continues to be endless bickering over political views.

Hope you are all well, and enjoy the spirit of this post (note the Dean Barkley reference is because I live in Minnesota):
Quote:
This site hits home for me: http://www.silentpc.org/third.php , although there are plenty of other sites that drive home similar points.

Being a realist, I don't honestly believe any 3rd party candidate has a true chance to win this years presidential contest! I do believe that 3rd party candidate can be elected to other offices, both locally and nationally. Dean Barkley is one. My 2008 voting pledges:
1. I pledge to cast my votes for 3rd party candidates. My vote will never be cast for a Republican or Democratic candidate, if one or more 3rd party candidates are available.
2. If no 3rd party candidates are running for a given office, I pledge to vote AGAINST any incumbent candidate running for reelection. This will be done regardless of party affiliation.
3. In the event that no 3rd party candidates are running for an office AND no incumbent candidates are running for re-election, I will NOT cast a vote for either candidate!

Research and selection of 3rd party candidates that earn my vote will be done by requesting an absentee ballot and deciding between the 3rd party candidates by using the internet to research their positions, policies, and "action plans".

I am not advocating, promoting, or campaigning for any specific 3rd party. However, this is the change that is desperately needed for our country. How many times has it been posted - "the two party system is broken". The only possible solution is to vote them out!

People will take the position that these are wasted votes, but this could not be further from the truth. This argument is nothing more than denial of the fact that the Republican and Democratic parties cannot work together to do what is best for this country and its people. If the American public took this to heart, the current two parties would be replaced in mass with 3rd party candidates from SEVERAL different parties - not just a single new party.

This is the change needed locally and nationally. It can only happen in the voting booth....nowhere else. You are welcome to ridicule and belittle these pledges, however I hope instead that this approach can be respected as a true effort for change - not the same two party rhetoric, masked as change and slanted by the media. I will put on a rubber suit now.
Feel free to share with others, or ignore it, however the theme might strike you.
Moose :moo

No moose hunting without a license :P! Licensing fees available by request :moo.
Why hunt moose anyway? We're just big, slow, dumb, and make for easy kills...oops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:52 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

I'll send you a pm, I tried to make a short statement but it keeps growing and I don't want to tick off any of our members.

I'll just say this, in spirit I agree... the system is broken, but this election is the most important since "Kennedy"? I can't sit this one out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:50 am 
Runt Dawg
Runt Dawg

I'm canadian from quebec, we have so many parties it's hard to keep track. about 8 regularly run in each election. often the vote gets split in such a way that a very unpopular idea gets voted in (like a seperatitist party sitting in a fedeeral seat because the non-seperatist vote gets split between 3+ parties. It's a bit crazy, but 'votes of conscience' for parties you don't expect to win are common. I'll vote for the green party just so they'll have more of a voice in the debates, press, and whatever other seats they may win. Even if my member doesn't get in, the others who so can be said to represent my interests in parliment.

To have something like this in the US would be amazing! but I'm afraid atthis point it would take a party slit to make it happen, a new party or president ju.st won't get the support they need ... america wide.

We go to the polls in 2 weeks! I'm hoping the bloc further disappears and the NDP gains a bit. :) Good luck to the US and Obama '08!