It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:51 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Tribes Ascend on Youtube
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:42 pm 
Old Dawg
Old Dawg

So I've been trying to upload videos to youtube of me playing the game. DSF was actually present, hearing my cries of pain of trying to get the video compression correct. I ended up using Windows Movie Maker (it compressed a 63GB file down to about 3 GB, without loss of audio, and still good qualify video). I'm actually uploading part 2 of a match as I type this out. If you're interested, let me know what you guys think of the video itself. It's just straight up gameplay.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:22 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

You might try using virtualdub if you want more control over codec/bitrate/compression. Also, are you forcing your capture to down-rez or was that Movie Maker?

View Tribes Ascend stats for CynageN.
"Competition is natural to the ignorant; and cooperation is natural to the wise." - Manly Hall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:59 am 
Old Dawg
Old Dawg

Not sure what you meant by that last question, Cyn. I was using Movie Maker; fraps originally recorded the gameplay in 4GB chunks. After the first of five chunks was successfully compressed by Movie Maker, I then selected all four of the remaining ones and had them compressed together.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:30 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

Quote:
Not sure what you meant by that last question, Cyn. I was using Movie Maker; fraps originally recorded the gameplay in 4GB chunks. After the first of five chunks was successfully compressed by Movie Maker, I then selected all four of the remaining ones and had them compressed together.
Right, what I mean is where in that process is the video itself being re-sized to the smaller resolution?

"Competition is natural to the ignorant; and cooperation is natural to the wise." - Manly Hall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:20 pm 
Old Dawg
Old Dawg

It's being done automatically by FRAPS, I picked the setting to put it into 4GB chunks, and then I also selected half-size, instead of full-size video. From there, I just simply drag and drop the videos into Movie Maker, and it then compresses the videos for me, giving me the option of what kind of video output I want (I choose 720p since I don't want the files to be too big still).

Here's part 2 of the gameplay with DSF:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:29 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

FRAPS uses a ton of resources in a fairly irresponsible way. About a year ago I started messing around with video recording and I'd have to use similar settings as you're using in FRAPS to be able to record and not have a ton of game lag at the same time. I later found something called Bandicam by a friend's recommendation and the performance I'd get in-game while recording was remarkably higher than FRAPS was ever able to give me even at reduced recording settings like you're using. Bandicam + Virtualdub is what I came to use regularly. I still have some of the videos I made up using Bandicam: NSFW Language, Gore?

And here are the ones I managed to get using FRAPS, Virtualdub and a tiny bit of Adobe After Effects but the in-game lag really made it difficult to play: NSFW Language, Some Gore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:53 pm 
Runt Dawg
Runt Dawg

Quote:
FRAPS uses a ton of resources in a fairly irresponsible way. About a year ago I started messing around with video recording and I'd have to use similar settings as you're using in FRAPS to be able to record and not have a ton of game lag at the same time. I later found something called Bandicam by a friend's recommendation and the performance I'd get in-game while recording was remarkably higher than FRAPS was ever able to give me even at reduced recording settings like you're using. Bandicam + Virtualdub is what I came to use regularly. ...
FRAPS isn't using resources irresponsibly, it captures frames with as little (or no) compression as possible, unlike many other cheap recording apps (FRAPS is as close to professional capturing as you can get without extra hardware). This allows you to get much higher quality output as a result. However, to handle (nearly) uncompressed frames, and make sure the end result matches as close to the desired rate, FRAPS needs to slow the frame rate of the game down to match.

If you want decent performance while recording with FRAPS, you need:
  • 1) a decently modern and somewhat beefy machine with equally modern and beefy video card,
    2) record at higher frame rates such as 60 FPS (you can then downsample to the desired rate),
    3) have more space for the increased size from higher FPS, and
    4) a harddrive that can handle the i/o (i.e. if you're using a "green" drive, give up now).
If all you want to do is record videos for youtube, you'll probably want different software, like Cyn suggests.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:51 pm 
Old Dawg
Old Dawg

Well, I'm having little lag issue while recording so that's not a problem. Combined that with the terabytes of unused hard drive space I got to save the FRAPS videos too, I'm good. Using an i5-2500K w/ 8 GB DDR3, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 board, Geforce GTX 560Ti, and about 3.5 Terabytes of hard drive space. I use an OCZ Solid 3 SLD for my OS and games, and regular Seagate and WD 7200 rpm HDDs for storage.