chihuahua
chihuahua

its really cool check it out

http://www.ascension-game.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:17 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

Hmmmm, it seems there maybe three future games with jetpacks based on the tribes gameplay we all know and love. This Renworks "Ascension", GG's "Legions", and Starsiege 2845!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:04 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

this has been in development for a long time... Its the RenwerX team with a new name. They were originally supposed to be helping legends with their graphics but instead broke off and decided to do the whole thing from scratch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:44 pm 
chihuahua
chihuahua

read up, it has many t2 elements in it as well as a few TV and bf2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:25 pm 
Runt Dawg
Runt Dawg

Quote:
read up, it has many t2 elements in it as well as a few TV and bf2.
I just wet myself :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:02 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

the fact that they ask for donations is enough for me not to like them. You know where that money goes? Into their pockets.

Development cost above the initial engine license (which can be applied to ANY game they make in the future) is zero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:29 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

you know besides the time they spend coding the game and making the art but that doesn't cost anything even though when they actually are coding this they could be at a job making money. And asking for donations doesn't mean they hold a knife to your throat saying give me money sucker... you have the right to say no i won't donate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:47 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

The project cost time, energy, resources. I don't see any harm in asking for donations, I'd expect it. Now if VUgames was asking for donations and still haven't provided update patches to a few of our favorite games, I'd have a beef with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:42 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

:shrug: its an ethics thing... i didnt ask for donations for my training grounds gametype, nor would i ask for donations for any other coding i do for fun.

There's a difference to me if the project has some real cost associated with it. It is one thing if the donations are helping to pay for bandwidth to host the games, or something like that. Its another thing if it's going towards the head programmer's new IPOD.

:shrug: i guess i'm being a little too quick to judge. I'm sure its costing someone some money to host the website/forums for the time being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 am 
chihuahua
chihuahua

i am with both sides on this topic on donations. it does cost quite a bit for all these programs they use to make these games, also time and effort to do in i am not sure that ppl are willing to do all this work for free there must be some pay involved. but i also take the side of Kraska where this money could be sent to be spent on the guys new ipod or guitar that he wants.

i would wait to see more results before puting any money into the programmers.

All in all i thought the game looked pretty cool but there is only one problem which one do we choose is the best Ascension, legions or starseige? i geuss only time will tell.

<=RD=> might just end up haveing a clan in both of them.

could someone send me a link to both Legion and Staseige.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:56 am 
Council Member
Council Member

the major cost associated with it is the license for each programmer... (about $150 per programmer)...

but asking for donations for that is like someone saying:

"hey, i'm going to help program this awesome game! Now, if anyone could donate money so i can buy a computer to program on, that would be great. Oh, and after i'm done i'm keeping the computer for my own personal use"

I can see how people would be willing to donate to help out, but seriously now... dont ask for it. Its one thing send someone a case of beer to show your appreciation or maybe send some cash if they are in a tough financial situation, but making it real easy to donate is unethical IMO.

Then again, maybe i'm just jaded from passing people asking for "donations" every day on the city streets and subways :shrug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:15 am 
Council Member
Council Member

If I choose to donate the reason I'm donating is to support the creation/development of the game that is all I need to know, if the team decides to use it for purposes outside of the game I have no way to stop them, knowing that my reasons for the donation was to support the team I would be happy just in doing that.

Maybe my genuinely wanting to help people when they need it or when they deserve it comes from my volunteering at O.S.N. handing out clothing, blankets, socks, shoes, and sleeping bags to the homeless but when I give something I do not hand tell them that they can keep it if they follow my one condition, I'm not that kind of person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:57 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

Quote:
:shrug: Its another thing if it's going towards the head programmer's new IPOD.
LEAVE THE IPOD ALONE, everyone should have one! :lol:

Kraska you make a valid argument, and as a fellow city dweller I know what you mean about rapid fire donation requests and the majority of those requests are not valid. But some are, there are that precious few that are valid and it I trust my instincts, sixth sense, chi or holy spirit when I walk past someone that looks like they aren't valid.

As for the questions of ethics that can only be answered by the future actions (greed or generosity) of the those behind the project in question.

If this crew are trully generous and not looking to screw others over or make a fast buck by selling the game and gamers out to a conglomerate... then we will be a part of something very special and unique. I admit that seems like unrealistic and a pipe dream, but my favorite song has always been Dreams by Van Halen.

I'm still amazed at the work you did on Gigsworld Traning Grounds... do you have any idea how many people ask me for a copy of it. Had you asked for a donation, I'd have sent you a Philly cheesesteak. I'm sure I could get on to you, it might be cold but you can microwave it! :P

Last edited by DUN_DUNNA on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:29 pm 
Runt Dawg
Runt Dawg

Quote:
Maybe my genuinely wanting to help people when they need it or when they deserve it comes from my volunteering at O.S.N. handing out clothing, blankets, socks, shoes, and sleeping bags to the homeless but when I give something I do not hand tell them that they can keep it if they follow my one condition, I'm not that kind of person.
Wow, sounds like a senior project that should be presented to the whole team!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:04 pm 
Council Member
Council Member

My apologies to anyone who is following the thread on this "game" over at Tribalwar.

My language got a little colorful.

View Tribes Ascend stats for CynageN.
"Competition is natural to the ignorant; and cooperation is natural to the wise." - Manly Hall