It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:30 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:04 pm 
chihuahua
chihuahua

this was posted on my clans site by BabyBoy

I tried it out and it is quite reliable to use.

When I started up Tribes again a few months ago, my lag was so bad I couldn't knife someone when I stood next to them! I made some changes to my config file that helped a lot. I know there's a post on some of the T:V forums by dodge_it_ about some this, but it took a while to find just the right settings for my computer because some of the ones said to help in that tutorial actually made mine worse. So try both if u feel you could make it any better.

Firstly, get to the file open the tribes vengeance folder (if you installed it to the default directory then it should be C://Program Files/VUGames/Tribes Vengeance)

Once in that folder, open the Program folder then the Bin folder.

In that folder, find the file named TV_CD_DVD.ini ( the ini file is the one with writing on it with a yellow looking thing) and make sure it's the one that ends in .ini

Before you can save any changes made to this file you have to make sure that it's not set to "Read-only". So right click on the file's name and go to Properties, then uncheck the box next to "Read-only". Additionally, if you are running Windows Vista (I believe it's only Vista that has this problem because I didn't have a problem with it on my old XP) go into the Security tab in the Properties screen, highlight "Users", and in the box below that check all the settings to allow "Full control". just make sure all those boxes are checked and apply. then exit out of that box and open the TV_CD_DVD.ini file.

Under the heading named [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice] find where it says DesiredRefreshRate and change it to say DesiredRefreshRate=75

Under the same heading, find UseVSync and change it to say UseVSync=False

Under the heading named [Engine.GameEngine] find CacheSizeMegs=32 and change it to say CacheSizeMegs=128
Note: This is for a graphics card with 128MB. I set my file to CacheSizeMegs=180 because I have a Nvidia GeForce 6150SE with 614MB and after some gameplay decided that 180 is comfortable for me.

These are all the config file tweaks i used. before closing out of the config file, make sure to go up to File and Save these changes. Also, didn't make any difference when I did it, but just in case, go re-check the box next to "Read-only" in the Properties menu.

Lastly I'd just like to add some in-game changes in the options menu that i use. When u start Tribes: Vengeance, go to the options menu:

Under the video tab, set all settings on the right side to Low or Off except for Fogging Distance, which you should change to Ultra-High so you can see farther. I also use a resolution of 640x480
Under the Network tab, remove the "X" from the box that says "Adjust Connection Speed While Playing" <---this is a big one. also, set the "Connection Speed" to whatever you use (i forgot if it automatically set it or not)

I think my lag problem is due to my wireless connection and mediocre graphics card, but at least these changes helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:46 pm 
Runt Dawg
Runt Dawg

Seeing as you're using wireless, I bet the adjust connection speed was your biggest problem, since it adjusts how fast you upload/download packets between you and the server, and packet loss can fool it into constantly changing your packet rate, thus causing monster lag when packet loss is intermittent.